The Retired Principal

There is something really goofy and exorbitantly cute about the sinister intellectual mannerism of Mr. Kumar, my neighbour who happens to be a retired principal of a management school and chaddi-buddy to Mr. Sondhi, a retired English Professor from Delhi University. Now both Mr. Kumar and Mr. Sondhi are well on the wrong side of the seventies, but highly nimble and active for their age, the retired principal even more, perhaps. It is the age where senility takes over youth and persons of this age are susceptible to highly irritable syndromes ranging from acute paranoia to fly-swatting pleasure post irrelevant hidings to neighbourhood kids. I for myself have numerous times, been victim of lashing of many a neighbourhood grandfathers (read bullys), having been caned once, had my ear twisted twice, no wait, I think thrice, and various other degrees of torture. And the extent of their invasion was such that me and my friends used to skimper helter and skelter at the mere sight of these gentlemen. But the retired principal and chaddi-buddy are not that typical. These guys are sweet chums. They will always shower you with toothless (scant-toothed maybe) grins, no matter how pesky a kid is behaving in their presence.
No matter at how ungodly an hour you wake up, you'll find our sweet chums strolling in the sprawling colony gardens. I have a hunch these two reach the park well before 4 A.M. and a sneaking feeling that there is some mischief involved. I wish I could catch them handful in this fishy act. But nevertheless, it's more of a wishful thinking. Typical Indian attitude, hunting for scandals everywhere. These guys would not hurt a fly for anything. There have been times when I have been out in the park on highly chilly mornings, which I admit have been a little too much even for myself, and these guys are already there wrapped in a cardigan or at best a scholar's coat and hat!
It was on one such morning walk that I found the retired principal all alone on a bench in the park. There was a peaceful sort of anguish in his eyes. There was no remorse or sadness and a smile was as always well pasted below his thin moustaches. But he wasn't wearing his spectacles, probably that is the only time in my life I have ever seen him without his bifocals. I resisted at first, I'm not easy with people, but then I decided to chat him. As I sat alongside, his smile turned into a huge grin and he was visibly pleased at my company. I started about the weather and the conversation soon build up. The professor was home since his son was ill. "Life becomes, very slow at my age", he began, "It is thrilling to be in the company of you young people. I miss those days when I used to have young boys and girls all around me."
"Were you loved by your students?", I interrupted.
" Oh yes! They were fond of me, even though I knew I was made fun of behind my back. But it's the part of the bargain. I loved my students. They loved me in return."
Talk veered to my career pursuits. He was pleased and wished me luck.
"What's your son doing, these days?"
"Oh Ajay? He is a big boy now. Independent. Works in a Apple and stays in Texas. He's married and has a small kiddo also. I and your aunty have been trying to persuade him to come to India, but he's too busy. Job pressure, happens. It's been almost Five Years I haven't seen him. Children, you miss them the most in your old age."
"So you haven't even seen your grandson and daughter-in-law yet?"
"Naah dear, he's e-mailed us some photographs. Keeps the two of us happy, just watching those photographs!" He gave a hearty laugh at that and I could sense something amiss. Peculiar ways of life. I could sense his loneliness. I don't know why or how, but I hugged him at that instant. Tears welled up in his eyes. I was feeling so sorry for the poor man.
"I pray Ajay finds time to come and meet you. Or rather why don't the two of you move base to US?"
"Ajay has a life separate from us. He's happy that ways and his happiness is all we have always wanted all our lives. Besides, Sondhi is gonna die without me!"
I smiled, waved him goodbye and moved on to my home.

0 comments: